Filed My Tax Return


Scammer Filed my Tax Return

Are you thinking “Someone Filed My Tax Return?” you might be right. An obvious indicator is you attempted to e-file your tax return and the IRS rejected it. Was the rejection reason that a return with your Tax Identification Number was already accepted? Another might be, the IRS is demanding you repay the refund you received from a return that you never filed.  As a result, that after waiting for your refund instead you get a bill from the IRS. Probably, the stolen return included incorrect information, to create a refund for the scammer.

What should you do now? Here are 7 steps to follow to get back your tax refund, or clear the debt:

  1. Complete Form 14039

First Step, complete this form. This form will inform the IRS that you are a victim of tax fraud. You will need to fill it out with personal and pertinent information regarding your case. You should send this from via Certified Mail with a return receipt request. If you are not sure how to fill out the form meet with your qualified tax professional and have them help you to complete the form.

  1. Don’t Forget Your State Return

This compromise will likely include your State return as well. Each state will have a different procedure for reporting fraud. You can contact your state tax department to find out what the procedure is, or you can have your tax preparer complete that process for you as well. Expect to pay a fee for this service, but an experienced tax preparer will know how to properly complete the process.

  1. Protect Your Credit

Unfortunately, tax fraud and credit fraud seem to go hand in hand. If you suspect that your tax refund was stolen, you will want to take the proper steps to protect your credit. The first step you will want to take is running a credit report to find out if there is already any damage created. (Check all 3 credit Bureau Report annually for free here: ) Next, freeze your credit, this will prevent Scammers from gaining access to your credit report and opening accounts in your name.

  1. Secure Your Cell Phone

A scammer may try to gain access to your phone so that they can receive any fraud alerts that are sent to you. Set up more security on your phone to prevent this. You also will want to make sure that your email account is listed on all of your credit cards as well so you can receive alerts in more than one place. As an additional security measure, you should change your password today, make sure it is complex!

  1. File Your Return

If you have not already done so, file your return! Just because someone else has filed a return in your name, does not mean you should not. You will not be able to file electronically, but you can send your return in paper form to the IRS.

  1. Prove Your Identity

The IRS will require you to prove that you really are who you say you are. This may include sending them documentation such as a copy of your driver’s license. But keep on guard…the IRS will not send a request for this information through email or text, they only correspond through mail. If you receive requests for your personal information any other way than through the mail do not respond. This might be the scammer!

  1. Be Patient!

Do not expect the IRS to respond immediately. Next, an IRS agent will still have to review the case after all of your information is received. If typically takes up to 120 days to resolve these cases. However, it can take longer. So, unfortunately, you will just have to wait it out.

Last, If you need assistance with this process, feel free to contact a Tax Advisor from Wealth Guardian Group!